European Voluntary Service

This is Pekarna's blog for EVS volunteers. Pekarna is a sending and hosting/receiving organisation for EVS volunteers and their volunteers (send and hosted ones) will keep you up to date about their work.

Evropska prostovoljska služba

Pekarna Magdalenske mreže Maribor te vabi, da se tudi ti pridružiš množici prostovljcev/-k Evropske prostovoljne službe (EVS) in odpotuješ v organizacijo po svoji izbiri v drugo državo EU. Smo pošiljajoča in gostiteljska organizacija EVS, ki mladim od 17. in do 30. leta za obdobje največ enega leta uredi vse podrobnosti za brezskrbno in povsem brezplačno delovanje v tujini.
Evropska prostovoljna služba je del programa ERASMUS + Mladi v akciji.

Za bolj podrobne informacije nas lahko kontaktiraš na: evs@pekarna.org



Wednesday 18 February 2015

Hi, Zdravo, Ahoj!


Hi, Zdravo, Ahoj!

Let me introduce myself a little bit. My name is Marek Šurkala. I am 25 years old and I live in the Czech Republic. But this has changed now. I do not live in Havířov (not very beautiful czech town that nobody knows) any more. I felt the need to explore the world (and maybe do something useful). So, I am here - in Slovenia, specifically Maribor, for my European Voluntary Service. I am going to work in cultural center Pekarna Magdalenske mreže. But why I chose to spend 10 months of my life in organisation whose name suggests that bread and croissants are made there (appendix for non-slavic people: pekarna=bakery in slovene language)? 

I studied philosophy, love of wisdom. Neverthless, my feelings to philosophy can be described as love-hate relationship. During studies, I was greatly interested in art from different philosophical points of view - aesthetics, semiotics, critique, etc. But my head  is still full of big questions. What is the role of contemporary art in life of the society? How can we evaluate art in this postmodern age? Are we able to distinguish conceptual art of real value from the trashy one? I appreciate θεωρία, disinterested seeing of the world, but I feel that only really intense collaboration with contemporary art scene could help me to deal with these questions. Because of that, I chose cultural center Pekarna Magdalenske mreže as my hosting organisation. 
It is focused on culture, art and civil society. So, I feel it will suit my needs perfectly. Am I right? Look for my new posts.

Marek Šurkala 

No comments:

Post a Comment