European Voluntary Service

This is Pekarna's blog for EVS volunteers. Pekarna is a sending and hosting/receiving organisation for EVS volunteers and their volunteers (send and hosted ones) will keep you up to date about their work.

Evropska prostovoljska služba

Pekarna Magdalenske mreže Maribor te vabi, da se tudi ti pridružiš množici prostovljcev/-k Evropske prostovoljne službe (EVS) in odpotuješ v organizacijo po svoji izbiri v drugo državo EU. Smo pošiljajoča in gostiteljska organizacija EVS, ki mladim od 17. in do 30. leta za obdobje največ enega leta uredi vse podrobnosti za brezskrbno in povsem brezplačno delovanje v tujini.
Evropska prostovoljna služba je del programa ERASMUS + Mladi v akciji.

Za bolj podrobne informacije nas lahko kontaktiraš na: evs@pekarna.org



Tuesday 12 June 2018

... it now feels as if I have been in Slovenia for a lifetime ...

Hello, it now feels as if I have been in Slovenia for a lifetime. The way time goes slow when you are doing lots of new and different things everyday. I still miss home, my friends and family, but Maribor is starting to feel more like home. I have some lettuce and a tomato plant on my balcony and feel even closer and more comfortable with the friends and people that I have met here.


After the highs of our Bosnian/Montenegro road trip May has been a fairly chilled month. At the start of the month we had our Eurovision event. Other EVS volunteers from across Slovenia joined us to watch the final on the big screen. I have never really properly watched Eurovision before so for me it was interesting and fun seeing the way people get really into it. I was definitely rooting for Slovenia. It was frustrating and depressing that Israel won, especially considering that this week they were firing on Palestinian protesters. 




We also had a really great Filmopeka where we showed Hedwig and the Angry Inch. The film explores the complex gender identity of Hedwig, an East German transgender singer who moves to America and sets up a rock band. Nataša’s friend Damian, and film critic led a really interesting discussion afterwards. I also discovered a really good Slovenian band, Dubzilla, when they performed at Gustaf…but June has already started, we are all busy and Lent festival is very much in the air so I am sure I will discover more Slovenian bands soon!

Esme!

No comments:

Post a Comment